Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Mere Christianity

It is two weeks before Ash Wednesday and the start of Lent. Every year this season ushers in a period of deep spirituality for Ulrich and I. This year, the heaviness of the Spirit began in Advent and I am preparing for a wild ride with God over the next few months. From conversations I have had with many of you, I feel that the Holy Spirit is pushing us all to step out this season into the wildness of what God is calling us to.

Over Christmas, several people in the family expressed interest in reading Mere Christianity together. This might be a great time to do that. What I love about this book and why I feel like it is a good fit for all of us to share together is that it focuses on aspects of Christianity which are common across all churches.

I think we have some pretty profound differences in our approaches to faith, which in my eyes is a good thing. It means our faiths are authentic. BUT, as a family trying to find common ground on such an important subject, it can be challenging. Mere Christianity has the potential to bypass things that would potentially bog us down to force us to push on in discussing things of deeper importance.

Whether or not you decide to join me, I am going to post regularly with my thoughts about each chapter. I hope they encourage you. I would love to hear every one else's take. This is an incredibly easy to read book. The chapters are short and the language is simple. BUT it is crazy dense. The concepts are mind-blowing and I would love to get your perspective. Love you...xoxox

1 comment:

Ulrich said...

I've come to view Lewis as a latter day St. Paul: intelligent, passionate about the faith, and opinionated. In the postlude Lewis lays out the ambitious concept of the book. He intends to do nothing less than define the characteristics that make a Christian regardless of denomination or personal particularities.

Lewis made the original radio broadcasts at a time of intense factionalism in the world... during and in the immediate aftermath of World War II. After a war that pitted the historically Christian nations of Europe against one another it is somewhat fitting that Lewis wrote a book to reconcile the divisions of the faith. I feel that the conflicts of the age show through in the sharp contrasts Lewis paints between Christian and non-Christian, right and wrong.

I found a lot of meatiness to chew on going through this book the first time, and I look forward to taking another go at and hearing how it strikes you.